Chettikulam Massacre – 02.12.1984
Chettikulam is a border village of Vavunia district twenty km away from Vavunia town on the Vavunia-Mannar road. Farmers, traders, laborers and government officials live in this village.
On 02.12.1984 curfew was imposed in all parts of Chettikulam area by army. The army started encircling Chettikulam village around 5.30 am. More of the villagers were asleep. The army entered the Chettigula village and took away the male villagers for questioning. Fifty-two of them were taken to Madavachi in military vehicles at Chettikulam junction.
After this there is no information about them. However, the people of Chettakula say that they were killed by the army in a Sinhalese village in Madavachi and they killed the culprits by using dozers.
Chettikulam Maha Vidyalaya teacher D. Yesudasan referring to the incident…
“The army, which had issued a curfew, rounded up and arrested fifty-two men and took them away for questioning. My brother and my sister's husband died in this incident. Also the two people who worked in my house were arrested and shot dead. After this, the people of this place migrated to places like Vanni, Madu, India.”
Details of those who were killed in Chettikulam Massacre on 02.12.1984:
- Soosaipillai Kristharasa (age 32 – Kamam)
- Ramasamy Ponnuthurai (age 45 – Kamam)
- Urganasamy (age 23 – Kamam)
- What is it?
- Kandiya Kengaratnam
- Kumar Mohan
- Kumar Varadarasa (Age 19 – Business)
- Gurukulaswamy (age 23 – Kamam)
- Kulasekarampillai Eugene (age 18 – Kamam)
- Pandyan Empire
- B. Arul Prakasam (age 30 – Kamam)
- Philippaia Arulprakasam (age 38 – Kamam)
- Paramalingam Paramanathan
- Iyampillai Paramanathan (Age 33 – Agriculture)
- Duraiappa Nathan
- Muthuswamy Konar Gopal
- Murugesu Sankarapillai (Age 38 – Labourer)
- Appappillai Vetrivellai (Kamam)
- Albin Robinson (age 26 – Kamam)
- Alvin Anthonysri Vinson (age 24 – Carpenter)
- Alvin Alexander (Age 21 – Carpenter)
- Alvin Unran
- Ponnuturai Krishtarasa
- Ponnuthurai Thananayakam
- Don Bosco Roman
- Soundararasan Pusparasan (age 27 – woodworking)
- Chelliah Utd
- Chelliah Ketheeswaran (age 28 – Kamam)
- Seller Murthy
- Seller Mahendran
- Vedanayagam Sepamalai (age 31 – Kamam)
- Velupillai Sivabalasingham (Age 35 – Agriculture)
- Chandanappillai Iruthayarasa (age 25 – Kamam)
- Chinnakutty Gandaswamy
- Sankarapillai Balendran (age 29 – Kamam)
- Vadivel Ashokumar
- Vinayakamurthy Yoganathan (age 24 – Kamam)
Note :- Name details of all those affected in this incident could not be obtained.
By: Tamil Genocide 1956 – 2001 Book.