Tirunelvelip Massacre – 24,25 July 1983
Tirunelveli is a part of Nallur Divisional Secretariat Division of Jaffna District. It is about three miles from the Jaffna city area to the north along Palali Road. Jaffna in this area. Higher educational institutions such as the University and the Jaffna Higher College of Technology are located as well as government offices.
On July 23rd, 1983, at 11:45 pm, an army vehicle on patrol went to the homes of the people of Palali Road, Sivan Amman villages, Palapetich Tirunelvelip area between Parameswara and Tirunelveli, and shot and killed more than fifty one civilians from the area. Many houses were burnt.
Details of those killed in the Tirunelvelip massacre on 24, 25.07.1983:
- Ramasamy Nagaraja – Labourer
- Nagalingam Shivalingam – Work Supervisor
- Kanakaratnam Krishnananda – business.
- Gandiya Shanmuganathan
- Balachandran Ajith – Boy
- Philip Aloysius Yogarassa Chandrasekharam – Business
- Thangaraja Gajendran – Student
- Ponnaiah Pararajasingham – Editor
- Selva Gandini – Girl
- Subramaniam Parameswaran – Regional Manager
- Chinnathambi Saravanamuthu – retired teacher
- Chinnaiah Sadanandan – Clock editor
- Sivaratnam Davendran – Student
- Shanmuganathan Sathyadevan – Salesman
Note:- The name details of all those affected in this incident could not be obtained.
By: Tamil Genocide 1956 – 2001 Book.